Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The Plastic Nation

For the purpose of this blog, "Plastic Nation" refers to how an overwhelming amount of people are going to the extremes to become someone or something they are not even if it means having surgery to do so. Many TV shows and ads have a way of playing on a person's emotions to make them want to look or be a certain way. Plastic surgery has become ever so popular especially amongst young women. More and more diet pills are hitting the market, silicon breast implants, face lifts, tummy tucks, liposuction, lip enhancements, spray on tans, etc are now as popular as going shopping for clothes. I’m not saying any of it doesn’t look nice, but I mean what’s next… interchangeable body parts? Maybe it’s the guy’s fault. Maybe we should let them know that they do not need to do all of the extra stuff to be beautiful. It’s crazy when I go to work and hear about someone having a face lift. I ask myself, why?!! I also know of two people who had a gastric bypass surgery. I’d understand if it was a medical problem, but not because you can’t stop eating or can’t get up and do some exercise. Some things we just have to take responsibility for. To lose weight just means to start exercising and eating better, not surgically shrinking your stomach! TV shows like “Dr. 90210, MTV True Life, and Nip/Tuck are f***ing scary just to think how serious this matter is in today’s society.

The guys are not in the clear on this issue either. There has been an increase in men getting nose jobs, laser hair removal, hair transplants, liposuction, and botox. I just wonder what happens when the person gets really old. You can’t fix your look forever. Eventually, your true self will show. Maybe there are techniques of hiding old age, but someone will see you at your worst at some point.




I just had to rant on this subject because I think its getting ridiculous. Since I’ve lived in Las Vegas I think I’ve seen some of the fakest people I have ever encountered. It’s just the whole “fake” lifestyle that gets to me. Maybe it’s just the L.A/Hollywood culture that has tainted the world with fakeness. It’s an issue with the physical appearance and personality. I recently saw an Asian person wearing blue eye contacts with their hair dyed blond. I knew an Asian guy who wanted to have his eyes clipped so that his eyes wouldn’t be slanted. I didn’t know that was a popular thing at the time. This White girl I know spends so many hours at the tanning salon its scary. That much unnatural UV radiation can’t be good for anyone. Many Black people get their hair straightened only because it’s not an acceptable thing to have kinky hair because it’ll look too “Afro centric” which may cause too much criticism that may affect their jobs or even being completely looked over for employment. Is this all a natural phase or is this really a serious issue? What are your thoughts?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow this is so true. it seems to be getting out of hand with the help of MTV and all of this crap they show on tv now.

Anonymous said...

This should be a Public Announcement broadcast on the world network. this generation scares me. I'd hate to see where it all ends up.

Anonymous said...

There are 2 people at fault here.
1- We as humans like pretty things. And well marketing research has found that we pay attention to the fake plastic person more than the natural buety inside. You can't sell kindness and its really hard to base an add on personality.
2- Also with all the demands in ones life we all feel the pressure of the person next door who looks like a million bucks and who seems to not have to lift a single dumbell to do it. So there come the cheaters- paying tons of cash to get to the goal as fast as possible.

I sorta agree with the essence of the whole thing. Looking good does have its perks ( its been proven that good looking people have a higher chance of a raise and even being treated better in general than not). But I would rather get there by working hard than the emergency room express.

Anonymous said...

read your blog.yeah i have the same feeling.where i live all the white people want to be black,and all the kids want to be gangsters.especially white kids.then they step to the real guys and get dropped.this makes me mad because it makes me look bad.but yeah alot of the girls at my school are like that.the white girls want to be darker,the black girls want to be lighter(not necessarily black).i know a few girls who had breast implants and its sad cuz they were beautiful before.so good job,it was a good read....

Anonymous said...

I too am annoyed by the plastic culture, which is probably even more fueled by f**king reality tv.

Anonymous said...

I have had gastric banding and it wasn't because I couldn't stop eating or because I didn't want to exercise. That is a very ignorant statement to make and its statements like those that push people to change their appearance. You do not know what goes through a persons head at the time of making the decision to change their appearance and until you walk in their shoes will keep thinking like this. Society expects you to fit into a certain mold. If you don't fit into this particular mold than you are not perceived as well as those that do. I feel that there is nothing wrong with trying to make yourself look your best if like everything else you do it in moderation. What super sucks is that people like the way the thin big breasted girls, with the pretty noses and thick lips look but then we turn around and make fun of them by saying that they are "fake" and say what's next "interchangeable parts!" What's funny about this whole thing is that I rather have a chopped up stomach, fake perky silicone filled boobs and a metal chiseled nose and have true genuine feelings towards everyone no matter their shape, height, skin tone or race than have fake personality towards those that choose to do what they please to their body because guess what you smile in their face and then make negative remarks about them. Maybe doctors can find a way to modify personalities and emotions and that way we can prevent people from being two faced jerks!! This is a free country and if people choose to modify their appearance than so be it! If people choose to take it too far that's their choice because think about it who are we to judge what too far is?. I think that as long as people are happy with who they are (weather they are happy with their born given looks or their cosmetically enhanced looks) then let them be. I'm glad that I live in a place where everyone can choose to do what they wish so I will go on loving Dr. 90210 and reality TV because I choose to do so. For those that think its F**ing scary just think that if it wasn't for the procedures that these people practice we would have a population filled with flat chested, crooked nosed over weight humans!!

xFranks said...

Fabs: I tend to agree with the beginning of your comments. There is certainly consideration on both sides, but I also agree with Zo for the most part. We have a society of media that drives people to believe they are not good enough and detrimentally affects their self-esteem. This self-created system perpetuates a problem of depression and the idea that there is a asthetic solution. This is certainly not the case, for the most part. I will say that if this kind of surgery truly makes someone feel better about themselves, than sure go ahead with it. But this is not he majority case and nor can it be considered so. Fab: I feel your comments are somewhat biased and calling someone ignorant for stating a valid opinion, is in itself ignorant. We need to weigh in from both sides and give equal consideration. I tended towards agreement with you, but the following changed my mind:

"For those that think its F**ing scary just think that if it wasn't for the procedures that these people practice we would have a population filled with flat chested, crooked nosed over weight humans!!"

Why are those people a problem? Why can't our society accept flat chested, crooked nosed, overweight people. If you are happy with yourself that is all that matters, and I refuse to accept the idea that this is a solution. It rarely is(Again, I will say it *can* be, but VERY rarely is.) You've ruined the entire validity of your statement by making an unbalanced, bias opinion followed up with a statement that reeks of pride and narrow-vision. It proves to me that there are people in this world who are part of the problem. Beauty is perceived, and the mass media has no right to decide what the perception should or should not be. Perception is individual and no more. You are acting a sheep and a pawn for their tyranny.

Anonymous said...

I can respect someone who has true beauty rather than faking it. yeah some people do have that "ideal" look or figure, but is it all real or not. I also know big people who are beautiful and they are so confident that they do not let the whole "i want to be thin" attitude keep them from being a strong minded individual

xFranks said...

"hell i'd get plastic surgery anyday. if i dont like my ass then i'll buy it. if i dont like my nose, i'll buy that too. f*** all of u!"

Now that is the type of attitude I can respect. I should reasses by saying that it's a problem if done for the purpose of self-esteem. Otherwise I don't see a huge problem yet I still fail to understand why people can't just be okay with themselves. I suppose that's human nature; to want more than we have. But . . . Is it really our natural instinct or is that something we've been subconciously taught for capatalist purpose or otherwise? I envy those who are satisfied with their lot in life and feel need for nothing more.

Anonymous said...

I agree with both Fabs and the author. This is a view on society and not an individual. If you take offense then you have some issues to deal with. I myself am a firm believer in doing what makes you happy and if it is modifying your God given being is what makes you happy so be it. But before you make such strong statements be sure you are aware of your audience. you could offend a friend that may be going through something you are not aware. It is a free country and we are free to think and say what we like but need to be held accountable for the words that are spoken or written

Anonymous said...

good blog. well i understand both sides. one i feel u should be able to do what you want to your body, but i do not believe you should get plastic surgery out of pure insecurity. I do believe we all have to take responsibilty for the things we can help without taking the shortcuts all of the time. Also one comment i saw earlier:

"F**ing scary just think that if it wasn't for the procedures that these people practice we would have a population filled with flat chested, crooked nosed over weight humans!!"

Thats just wrong. The only reason you're thinking like that is because what television/society has instilled into our brains. If you have a flat chest its ok. Wear the shit like you're proud. If you're overweight, theres methods besides going under the knife(how about a personal trainer!)

Anonymous said...

This is soo true!! We forget how naturally beautiful we all are.

 
Watch the latest videos on YouTube.com
Google